mercredi, octobre 26, 2005

The crap I watch on Cable TV

I've caught lots of miscellaneous stuff on Cable TV in recent months. It helps to have Tivo. It's like having a VCR on steroids! :) Just tell Tivo to record stuff, and then watch & delete programs in any order I choose. Tivo has to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Some programs/movies I've caught lately:


Aristocrats (Masterpiece Theatre). This was fun, loved the costumes, etc. Did not like how they brought in a whole new set of people to portray older versions of the characters. I was left confused trying to figure out who was who.

He Knew He Was Right (Masterpiece Theatre). This seemed to drag, but I made it through to the end.

The Importance of Being Earnest. It seemed like the first time I've seen Rupert Everett, however I think the first time was in The Madness of King George, which I got on Laserdisc (remember those??) over a decade ago, I just don't recall the movie clearly. I'd rewatch it if somebody could figure out how to reconnect the LD player to that jumble of equipment by the TV. I later stumbled upon him in Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Silk Stocking (Mystery!). The Importance of Being Earnest is the second movie I've seen with Colin Firth, it was strange to see him in a romantic comedy after seeing him in Pride & Prejudice, a movie I have rewatched numerous times, where he has a very serious facial expression throughout most of the movie. I just finished watching the 1940 version starring Laurence Olivier. It was probably great for its time, but I was distracted by the costumes they wore in the movie (they seemed so wrong), and was it my imagination or did they speak very very fast? It's as though they did a super abridged & slightly tweaked verson, which didn't turn out short enough so they made the cast talk faster than normal. I understand there is a new version of Pride & Prejudice coming out on November 18, starring Keira Knightly. I am prepared to hate this version, but who knows, perhaps it will surprise me.

Citizen Kane was recently on TV. That was an interesting film, and of the better of the two 1940-ish movies I've seen recently.

I thoroughly enjoyed all of the
Inspector Lynley Mysteries (Mystery!) I caught on TV. I've seen about 10 episodes; there are still a few more I need to catch. I understand that these are based on novels by Elizabeth George, starting with "A Great Deliverance". Another mystery series I like, although not as much as Inpsector Lynley, is Hetty Wainthropp Investigates (Mystery!).

That's just some of the stuff I've been watching on my own during the day. There's a whole different set of programs which I watch with DH: Las Vegas, NCIS, CSI, Battlestar Galactica, Cold Case, 24, American Idol & Naruto.

.

Aucun commentaire: