mercredi, octobre 05, 2005

Dan Brown again

I was eager to start another Dan Brown novel after finishing "The DaVinci Code". I finally settled on "Deception Point". I didn't quite get sucked into DP as easily as DVC, but Dan Brown's style still attempts to keep you in suspense. I think I liked DVC from the start because it was about codes and art, something much more interesting to me than glaciers and meteorites. I'm one of those people who can spend hours in a museum, looking at each piece, reading everything... you do NOT want to go to a museum with me if you're the type who just glances at each piece for a second, from a 20 ft (6 m) distance, without reading any of the blurbs written about the piece.

So back to DP... I believe part of the problem was my first impression of the novel
jumping into the story making it difficult to follow. I later discovered that this was not the case at all. It was actually user error. Kind of like the PEBKAC problem of computer (l)users. I had somehow started with Disc 3 instead of Disc 1. I didn't notice until I finished Disc 3 and went to switch to the next disc only to discover that there was Disc 1 waiting in the wings. Doh! No wonder I thought the story started funny. I couldn't believe I did that. I blame it on my daughter. I'm convinced she sucks the life force out of me, leaving me exhausted and disoriented.

Well after a week, I am finally on Disc 2 of the novel. It's weird listening to it out of order since I already know what is going to happen. Good thing I didn't inadvertently start out with Disc 5! Making slow progress, I've been listening to this novel sometimes while nursing Miss Froggie.

Note:
PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair

.

Aucun commentaire: